In 2015 VicRoads recognised the need to build a strong internal innovation capability to respond to rapidly changing customer needs and expectations. The organisation faces increasingly complex problems in managing a transport system, including population growth and reducing public funds. The organisation is effectively a problem-solving organisation and as a result is committed to placing innovation at the heart of its delivery. VicRoads reached out to Inventium to deliver an innovation program designed to embed innovation across the organisation.
What we did
- Conducted an Innovation Audit.
- Worked with the executive team to develop Innovation Missions – that is, a strategy and focus for innovation.
- Delivered a six-month program for Senior Leaders, to educate them in how to effectively lead for innovation.
- Provided strategic mentoring to the Innovation Team to help them optimise their time and overcome roadblocks and challenges.
- Developed an enterprise-wide Innovation Process that is designed to increase success rates and decrease failure rates of innovation.
- Delivered a three-month training program to develop best practice capability for Innovation Agents.
- Ran several full day Innovation training sessions for staff throughout the organisation.
- A clear understanding of how VicRoads is performing across a best practice framework for innovation and what steps to take to embed it.
- The implementation of a comprehensive innovation program championed by the CEO. This has ignited momentum and built the foundation for a best innovation within VicRoads.
- A strategy for innovation that focuses and harnesses all employee efforts to achieve some of VicRoad’s biggest challenges.
- A group of Senior Leaders who have a strong understanding of what and how to best implement world-class drivers of innovation.
- The implementation of an Innovation Process, which maximises resources and is speeding up innovation outcomes. It is also ensuring that both top down and bottom up innovation are embraced across the organisation.
- A group of employees who have become innovation Agents – effectively coaching, mentoring and facilitating the innovation process.
- A clear definition and common language for innovation, which has been committed to by the CEO and communicated throughout the organisation.
- A science based creativity and innovation toolkit, which can be facilitated and shared by over 80 employees. It is ensuring significant improvement to innovation outcomes.
Inventium’s scientific and customer focused approach to innovation greatly appealed to VicRoads as we are an evidence-based organisation who wishes to transform into a more dynamic and responsive organisation that to puts the customer at the heart of everything we do.
The Inventium team was able to provide clear, expert advice and guidance to VicRoads on how to embed innovation across our large organisation. Our staff particularly enjoyed the workshops facilitated by Inventium, and walked away feeling inspired to use the practical tools and techniques they learned.