Starlight’s mission is “To brighten the lives of seriously ill children and their families”.
What we did for Starlight
Inventium has partnered with Starlight since 2016 to equip cross-functional teams and leaders with the skills to innovate. Specifically, we have:
- Engaged and aligned senior leaders on the key ingredients necessary to create an organisation where innovation can thrive, such as strategy, roles, process and culture.
- Equipped 36 “champions” with the tools to take a “child-centric” and customer-led approach to innovation
- Conducted a benchmarking analysis to understand Starlight’s baseline performance on the nine key drivers of innovation.
- Supported innovators through specific innovation projects by providing tactical mentoring and support.
- Engaged middle management in how they can see innovation as a crucial part of their day-to-day role and support their teams to apply the innovation process to daily business challenges.
- Engaged Starlight’s innovation team in Inventium’s Intrapreneur Club so that they can connect, grow and learn with other like-minded intrapreneurs.
Notably, innovation has become an established practice within Starlight, with employees frequently working through the innovation process to identify rich opportunities and solve problems creatively. In addition to this, leaders and managers across Starlight are able to innovate daily, seeing opportunity to apply their innovation toolkit to solve daily business challenges.
Don’t just take our word for it – here are the thoughts of Starlight’s innovation team; Head of Programs and the Executive Lead on Innovation; Felicity McMahon, and National Manager for Program Development; Imogen Aitken:
“We were an organisation who would have seen innovation as focusing only on idea generation. But what really resonated with us (was) Inventium’s scientific approach and (the science) within the innovation process. It sparked the beginning of us having a more comprehensive understanding of innovation.”
“An absolute benefit of working with Inventium is the opportunity to work with people from a whole range of sectors and backgrounds. For me, that’s one of the great benefits of Inventium - it’s one of those opportunities to tap into people from industries that are so different from your own and it sparks thinking in a whole new way.”
“For example the Wish Granting Team are just one team across Starlight who are now using the innovation process in their team for all their new innovations - down to lean testing and experimentation. They use the process whenever they’re trying to evolve and improve how they deliver life-changing wishes to seriously ill children.”
“The most exciting thing, even over the last couple of weeks, has been members of the organisation who haven’t done the innovation training, have now been exposed enough to be saying “We need to do a ‘scan’ (customer research)’” and “We need to trial this before we roll it out” - that’s been really exciting to see. We are seeing the real cut-through across the organisation.”
“We’ve used Inventium’s Benchmarking survey to guide us on what our priorities will be. For example, when we first did it, “Recognition” was an area that we needed to improve upon, so we introduced the CEO Innovation Awards.” “The CEO Innovation Award program has helped to myth bust around innovation at Starlight. It’s shown people that you can do innovation on a daily basis. And you don’t have to come up with the next Uber… innovation can be a small thing that still has a big impact.”